Thursday, January 18, 2007

Confession and question

The Bunsen post was not planned. I wanted to do a 'top 5 named laboratory equipment'.

1)Dean-Stark
2)Bunsen
3)Liebigs
4)Dewar
5)Schlenk

But... it turned out that it was quite difficult to obtain any biographical information about Ernest W. Dean and David D. Stark. I am not prepared to do research on them with a lot of effort (I am lazy after all).

Another top 5 list I would like to do is: top 5 women in chemistry

There are not enough women in chemistry! (Yep... it is the evidence that women are more intelligent than men.)

So, if anybody has a suggestion please comment... (Curie and Franklin already earned their positions ofcourse).

One rule: a member of a top five list must be dead! I am reluctant to write about living people.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meitner ?

Kind of borderline physicist/chemist though.

Mitch

synthetic environment said...

Lise Meitner was #4, now it is at least #3. Wetterhahn was #3 now on #4.Meitner is far more important, but Wetterhahn is a more dramatic story. Curie is as borderline as Meitner I think.(#5 is Curie jr. by the way, but I am still not satisfied with the list).

Russ said...

Top six named laboratory equipment
...
#6 - the round bottom flask

Little known fact: Named after famed 19th century chemist Cecila Roundbottom (possible candidate for top 5 women chemists?)

synthetic environment said...

I have to do some research to find out how big her round bottom was

(Ouch... there goes my female friendly reputation.)

Curie Jr. will not be in the top 5. Maude Menten and Ellen Richards Swallow are new candidates.