Friday, February 9, 2007

Mme Curie

In a comment here I said about Curie: "I do not know how important her husband was initially for her acceptance". Well I was reading in her biography again and I read that there were some people who wanted to give her first Nobel prize (physics) to Pierre and Henri Becquerel alone. Marie Curie had the luck to have the right progressive men around her.

I discovered something about her acceptance when I searched for publications of Marie.

1911 - the year she received her second Nobel prize(chemistry)
Darstellung der reinen Radiumsalze (Zeitschrift für Angewandte Chemie, 1911, 24, 8, 343)Quite weird that an author is named, 'wife of Pierre Curie' (Pierre had been dead for 5 years then).

1931 - 3 years before her death

Bericht der Atomgewichtskommission der internationalen Union für Chemie (Berichte der deutschen chemischen Gesellschaft 1931, 64, 5, 93)

Now her own initial is used with the famous 'Madame', while the others have no prefix. In 20 years she evolved from somebody's wife into an icon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"In 20 years she evolved from somebody's wife into an icon."

Two Nobels will do that for you. Hell, give me two Nobels (I don't care which ones) and call me whatever you want.